The videos below explain how to use certain programs on the CILC’s iMac computers.
Playing International Versions of World of Warcraft
This video shows you how to play one of the international versions of World of Warcraft available on the CILC computers. The available languages are English, French, German, Russian and Spanish.
Printing Double-Sided Documents
This video shows you how to print double-sided documents when printing to the printer in the CILC.
Submitting an Audio Recording on BlackBoard
If you are an Oberlin student enrolled in a language course that requires you to submit audio recordings using BlackBoard, here’s how you can do this using the CILC computers.
- Click on the Audio Recorder icon available in the dock on all of the CILC computers.
- Make sure that Logitech USB Headset is selected as your input device, and that the light on the volume-control button of the physical headset is a solid red. You’ll know that you’ve set up your input correctly if you see the green bar in Audio Recorder getting longer whenever you speak into the headset microphone.
- When you’re ready to record, click the Record button. When you’re finished, click Stop.
- In the prompt that will appear, provide a name for your recording. By default, it will be saved to the Desktop as an MP3 audio file.
- To submit this recording via BlackBoard, open a browser and go to Oberlin’s BlackBoard site. Log in with your Obie ID and password, then click on the language course in which you are enrolled, which should be visible in the My Online Course Sites panel.
- Find the assignment that you need to complete and click on it.
- On the assignment page, find the text that says Attach File, and click on the button beside it reading Browse for Local File. Locate your saved recording and click Open.
- Once the file has been uploaded, click on the button reading Attach File.
- To complete the assignment, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the button reading Submit.
Using International Keyboards in Mac OS X
If you are using the Mac side of the CILC machines and wish to change the keyboard layout on any of the CILC machines to a non-English layout in order to enter text in the language of your choice, follow the steps below.
- Click on the flag icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. This icon will usually be an American flag with the text U.S. next to it, but it might be different if a previous user changed the keyboard layout.
- Once you’ve clicked on the flag icon, click on the keyboard layout that you wish to activate. Whatever you type from now on will use your chosen keyboard layout.
- If you are not intimately familiar with your chosen keyboard layout, you can click on the text reading Show Keyboard Viewer that appears in the menu shown after clicking on the flag icon. This will bring up a window that displays which keys correspond to which characters. The keys shown in the keyboard viewer can also be clicked on to produce the clicked character.
Note that, if you just need to enter a few accented characters based on the Latin character set, you’ll likely be better off consulting our accented characters reference table instead, which does not require changing the keyboard layout. If, however, you need to enter non-Latin text for a language such as Russian or Chinese, you will need to select a different keyboard layout.