Your profile contains identifying information about you, including your display name, email address, password, and avatar. To access your profile, make sure you are logged into CILC Blogs, and look in the top right-hand corner of the browser window. You should see a welcome message, along with a small picture.
To access and/or update your profile, hover your mouse over the “Howdy” message, and click the Edit My Profile link that appears in the drop-down menu.
Most WordPress theme display information about the author of a post; by default, because CILC Blogs has very little information about you, it uses the username you created as your name. To choose how your name should be displayed throughout CILC Blogs:
1) Fill out the Name area of your profile.
2) Use the Display Name Publicly As drop-down menu to pick how others will see you.
The only box that must be filled out in this area is the nickname; if you are uncomfortable in having your real name displayed on CILC Blogs, pick a pseudonym and let your professors know what name you are using.
When you first signed up for CILC Blogs, you were given a random (and probably hard to remember) password. To update that password to something you can remember:
1) Scroll to the bottom of the Profile page.
2) Enter your new password in the New Password and Repeat New Password boxes.
3) Click Update Profile to save your changes.
The new password will take effect immediately.
Many areas of WordPress display a small image next to your name (for example, in the Howdy menu in the top-right corner of the window). To update this image, you can use a free service called Gravatar (Globally Recognized Avatar). This service allows you to create an account, input one or more email addresses that you use, and then to associate pictures with those email addresses.
To change your CILC Blogs avatar:
1) Visit the Gravatar home page and sign up for an account with your @oberlin.edu email address. (Make sure you are using the exact same email address that you used to register for CILC Blogs; firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com might go to the same place, but Gravatar seems them as different addresses!)
2) Upload a picture (of yourself, a pet, etc) into Gravatar, and ask it to associate that image with your @oberlin.edu email address.
3) Save your changes, and within a little while, CILC Blogs will automatically begin associating the image you uploaded with your CILC Blogs account. This doesn't always happen immediately, so you may need to wait for this to happen.