Telling Our Stories

2009

Looking back over the past 40 years’ worth of journal entries, I remember how easy it is to forget how unclear situations seem in the moment.  When I re-read them, events that now seem inevitable seemed so uncertain then.  I suppose this is the nature of recording history.  It is amazing to me that I did not record many of my day-to-day experiences.  I think that maybe I felt a need to document my perception of the world around me with relation to the political climate rather than all of my inner thoughts.  I kind of wish I had chosen to write down some more light-hearted parts of my life!  It would be lovely to look back and see how my tastes in art changed over the years, or my favorite hobbies, conversations I had with people.  I see that my father is featured very heavily.

I have not yet published Father’s book in its full form.  I have instead pulled excerpts from it that I used in my lesson plans that I have passed along to teachers.  I have been working closely with Lucas’s wife Rosa to craft professional development seminars as well as lesson plans for teachers at all levels to use to engage with their students over the recent history of our country.

Their son Nicolás is now five and I love spending time with him just like I’ve always loved spending time with Lucas.  I pick him up from school and spend my afternoons with him while Lucas and Rosa are still at work.  He is growing up in a completely different Argentina, but I hope I can help him to understand his legacy.

Reconciliation is an ongoing process.  It still feels very present to me, and I think it does for others as well.  There is no clear point of starting over but rather working together to figure out how to carry our past onward in a healed way that can help us in making future decisions.

More soon,

María

One thought on “Telling Our Stories

Thanks for sharing your life, Maria.