A Reflection on the Day of Pinochet’s Death

December 10th, 2006

Pinochet died today. He did not die as an official criminal; he was not convicted of a single crime despite all the charges brought against him. In my heart and those of many others in Chile, he was guilty of the most vile crimes possible – regardless of whether or not there was a trial for him. I am not sure how to reconcile myself with these two truths.

The past few years have been good to me. I met a lovely woman named Carmen in 2001 and we have since married and had too children – Diego and Justina. They are the lights of my life – cliché as that may be. Diego just turned four and Justina is one and a half years old. Watching them grow the past few years has shown me that hope is possible, for my children and myself. Having two young children at 61 certainly is exhausting but it is well worth the trouble. I hope, and to some extent believe, that they will grow up in a better country.

Although it is small, my law practice provides enough for my family and me to live off of. My pursuit of justice, however, has certainly not been as successful as my family life. The men that tortured me will never be punished for what they did to me or countless others. Only a few have been convicted. Much remains shrouded in mystery. The past stays with me wherever I go, whatever I do. I will never be free of it, this I accept. But I can still have a life, I can still find joy and see the goodness around me.

Sebastian

1 thought on “A Reflection on the Day of Pinochet’s Death

I’m glad that you found a life companion, Sebastian, and that you now have children to whom you will tell what happened and who can be the next generation to demand justice.