Nicolás Peralta, 10 December 1983

I can’t believe it! There is a new president of Argentina–Alfonsín! I feel like I’ve been waiting for this day forever. Like always, I heard the final decision on the radio. I leapt out of my chair and shouted with excitement. Sara, who was with me at the time, is also excited, but she cautioned me to remember that we shouldn’t put so much trust in our new government. We’ve been through too much already.

Sara and I are getting married next month. I was finally able to get a job about a year ago, but now that the junta is stepping down, I think I can finally start looking for a job as a journalist! Again, Sara tells me to slow down; she doesn’t want me to start writing until we know for sure that it will be safe again to write without censorship. I understand where she’s coming from, but I want to start my career and make money again. I’m twenty-eight years old, and it’s time for me to get my life on track. I need to be able to support my parents now that my father has retired and they are getting older. During the scariest times of the last decade, when my friends were missing and it seems like nobody could feel anything but fear, I thought that I would never see this day. But now, I feel like I finally have a future.

1 thought on “Nicolás Peralta, 10 December 1983

Congratulations on your impending marriage! Both you and the country will be starting off fresh!