April 11, 1987

April 11, 1987

Papa died last week. The cough he had for the last few months kept getting worse. When Mama finally got him to go to the hospital the doctors said there wasn’t much they could do at that point. The public hospital Papa went to was a mess, and they didn’t have the resources to treat him. To think, my father died because the hospital didn’t have enough money. I guess the government is so used to killing people, they do it even when they are trying to save them.

Tomas has been very supportive through all of this. I can tell he is also grieving. I think Papa’s death is making him think of his own father. It’s been almost 10 years since he was disappeared. At least I got to say goodbye. At least I know what happened to Papa. It lets you grieve. How does Tomas bare it? He’s a good man, and he’s endured so much. I tell him I’ll marry him once Chile is free again.

I’ll miss you Papa. I’m sorry you did not get to see Chile free before you died. You always believed it would be free again, like it was when you were young. I want to believe you were right. I have to believe you were right.

1 thought on “April 11, 1987

I’m so sorry to hear about your papá, Catalina.