Alexei- May 10, 1985

A lot has happened since the last time I have journaled.  The biggest thing being we almost went to war!  Yea that was a real scary time.  It is unbelievable.  Countries in the twentieth century still fighting over territories.  My home land, Chile, and our neighbor Argentina both feel entitled to the Picton, Lennox, and Nueva Islands.  It was the scope of the their maritime jurisdiction associated with those Islands that brought both of these countries into conflict.  This was given the name Beagle conflict.  Luckily, I am extremely happy to say that we have avoided war!  The Treaty of Peace and Friendship was just recently signed by Pinochet!  I am extremely happy because a war would be the last thing Chile needed.

Also, I have been attending more and more anti-Pinochet rallies and meetings recently.  I feel I am finally choosing a side in this difficult time for Chile.  Hopefully, everything will continue  going well.

1 thought on “Alexei- May 10, 1985

It’s amazing to think that we have had border conflicts with Argentina for so long. Maybe now they will be resolved once and for all.