July 7, 1976

Work at the office is busy, the firm does not have that many cases, but it seems like there is a job for me with every single one. The good news is, I’ve been promoted, the bad news is I’ve been promoted. My boss likes me, but he is always finding me something to do. My fiancee thinks that I should quit while I’m ahead, he is always reminding me of when we used to travel, and when I used to sleep, but he doesn’t understand because his job is boring, and he would never work overtime cleaning up the school for those ungrateful kids. Life is busy, but it is good, I feel useful. Politics are more concerning.

My life is not radically different than it was 4 months ago, but there is an overwhelming sense that Argentina is going to change. Before the junta, I never thought about politics very much. In my family, we were taught to think critically, and we never saw much of a difference between the Peronists and the military. Leaders came, leaders went, and my father was more concerned about the severity of the dry season than the empty rhetoric of the politicians. Even if the politicians were different, what does a farmer care about the military, or the unions, or the size of the factories. In the city, none of my friends will stop talking about politics, still I rarely pay attention, but with the Junta, things seem different. The leaders are so violent, they talk about extermination, about subversives, about annihilation, but it’s unclear who they will annihilate. I think Marxism is a toxic ideology, but I’ve known good Marxists, hard working people who were not  “subversives”. I talked to my cousin last week in Italy, she is a member of the Italian communist party, but she does not want to destroy Christianity, she does not plant bombs or kill police. In Italy communists run openly for office and are very popular, but Italy is not like Cuba, not like the Soviet Union, it bears no resemblance to what the junta says Argentina will be like if we don’t annihilate the subversives. The way they are talking now, I see the dangerous potential of politicians, now I feel I must pay attention.

1 thought on “July 7, 1976

We can only hope that the military will try to strengthen democracy when they leave – right now that doesn’t seem to be on their agenda.