October 14th, 1973

October 14th 1973,

Mama and Papa have been kind of mean recently. They don’t want me hanging out with Sofia anymore. I don’t even understand why, I’ve known her forever. Mama always loved Sofia too! I don’t get it. They tell me they are worried about the new government, but I don’t know what that has to do with this. And Sofia’s grandma says the new government is a good thing. She says that Allende was ruining the country and that no one had enough food. Sofia said her grandma marched in the streets to protest before the military took over. Mama tells me not to listen to Sofia’s grandma. She says we always had enough food before the military. Mama seems more scared now than before. Papa tells me that Allende took care of us better than any other president has. But he tells me not to talk about that in school, and definitely not to say that to Sofia. I don’t really understand why, but he and mama are really serious about it.

The other night Mama and Papa said its time for me to grow up. They said that there is no time to be kid anymore, and that I have to be responsible for myself because they don’t know what was going to happen next. I’m trying to understand everything but I don’t know what is going on. In school they tell me that everything is going to be better because the military took charge to fix everything. And Sofia’s grandma says that too. But Mama and Papa tell me that’s not true. I’m confused and I’m kind of scared.

I miss Sofia. I think she is mad at me because I don’t come over anymore. She won’t listen when I try to tell her why. I just want to be her friend again. I just want things to be the same as before.

1 thought on “October 14th, 1973

Sometimes parents can be so confusing, Catalina, no? Well, let’s just hope that everything gets better and grown up can stop being so strange.