Every year, through an application process, 15 incoming first-year students are selected to be part of the Bonner Scholars Program. Acceptance is based on display of a strong record of community service, and high financial need as determined by the Office of Financial Aid.
Students selected to be part of the Bonner Scholars Program are expected to:
- Complete 140 community service hours per semester (~10 hours per week)
- Participate in enrichment, training and reflection activities planned by the Oberlin College, the Bonner Scholars and the Bonner Scholars Program Director.
- Complete two summers of service at a non-profit or NGO in any part of the world. The expectation is 280 hours of community service for each of the two summers.
Expectations for Bonner Scholars are fully described in the Bonner Contract. You may access the contract by clicking on the link below:
Requirements specific to each year:
- Attend Bonner orientation, which takes place a few days before Oberlin College’s First Year Orientation (meals and housing provided)
- Enroll in and complete Introduction to Bonner Life (Oberlin College course credit offered)
- Go on the First Year Trip, which takes place during spring break
- Attend the Sophomore Exchange (event changes year to year)
- Attend the Sophomore Recommitment meeting
- Participate in the Junior Class Project (project changes year to year)
- Prepare and present a Senior Presentation of Learning to the rest of the Oberlin College Bonners
You may find more information under the Cornerstone Activities tab.